Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Kebaya Sulam dari bandung

Halo everyone! Let me share something that I fond of since I was small. I'm a big fan of kebaya! Am I coming out from closet? Haha. Anyways, when I was a little girl, I love to watch my mother in her kebaya. She never put me in kebaya because it is meant for adult (as what she said) and because I was shapeless at that moment. But well, hey, kebaya looks good on everyone, no matter what shape is your body. For those who don't know what is kebaya, it is a traditional blouse worn by women in Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore, sometimes made from sheer material and usually worn with a sarong, batik, or other traditional knitted garment such as a songket with a colorful motif.






Embroided kebaya (kebaya sulam) is one of a kind of kebaya. The embroidery made by machine or hand made (jahit tangan). It is so famous in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. Nevertheless, it is quite pricey.

Here, I would like to introduce embroided kebaya come from Bandung, a famous place for textile. And it comes in three different kind of embroidery.

1)
Sulam super
- the embroidery lies from up till down of the baju kebaya





2) Sulam timbul
- the embroidery lies on higher level than the fabric
- it enhances the floating look of the embroidery if you see it from far






3) Sulam biasa
- the embroidery lies on the same level of the fabric



And the fabric of the kebaya also comes in different kind.

1) sutera thai (thai silk)
2) sutera biasa (silk)
3) semi sutera (semi-silk)
4) sutera timbul
5) cotton

No comments: